|Job Title: Consultant General Surgeon|
|Company Name: Avon Medical Practice|
|Department: Clinical Services|
|Reports to: Medical Director|
Manages patient presenting with symptoms and signs involving the endocrine system, gastrointestinal tract, liver, colon, and other major parts of the human body and Performs surgeries for a wide range of illnesses involving these when required.
He/she is skilled in the diagnosis, preoperative, operative, and postoperative management of patient care and will be required to perform invasive medical procedures, which may be planned, emergency, open or minimal access.
- Examining patients and making diagnoses to determine the need for surgery or other forms of management.
- Reviewing patients’ medical history, planning the best procedure for treatment and adequately counselling patient on the risks involved in performing or opting out of surgery.
- Performing surgical procedures to prevent or correct injury, disease, deformities, and restore function while adhering to regulatory and ethical protocols.
- Following established surgical techniques and guidelines during surgery.
- Prescribing preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures.
- Ensuring sterility in the operating room, and all equipment and instruments.
- Directing and coordinating activities of the operating staff for proper patient care.
- Overseeing all treatments prior to and post-surgery and identifying associated risks.
- Planning and executing disease/illness prevention and health promotion programs.
- Coordinating follow-up meetings with patients, patients’ relatives and monitoring their health condition after surgery or treatment.
- Explaining procedures in layman’s terms to patients and family members before and after procedures
- Performing minimally invasive procedures such as but not limited to appendix or gallbladder removals, colonoscopies, thyroidectomies, and bariatric surgeries.
- Performing intermediate and major surgical procedures effectively and efficiently.
- Performing other assigned duties by the Medical Director.
- Proven work experience as a General Surgeon with a good track record
- Proven experience as a minimal access surgeon
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Emotionally resilient with the ability to make patients feel at ease
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent decision-making abilities in emergency cases
- Superior analytical skills in determining best treatment plans given little planning time
- Critical thinking abilities
- Problem Solving Skills
- Proficient in the use of hospital Electronic Medical Records (EMR)
- Must possess an MBBS (MD) degree.
- Successful completion of Residency training
- 1+ years of experience practicing as a General Surgeon.